Wednesday, October 24, 2007

fast forward

I'm pretty sure by now, with all my talk of TV shows, it's clear that I enjoy a love affair with my DVR. Last night, while watching an old recorded episode of Sex and the City, ever-powerful DVR remote in hand....it hit me. What I need is DVR for my life. Yeah, yeah, I know our days here are numbered anyway and it's foolish to wish even a second away and blabitty bla bla bla and just watch that Click movie if you want proof that this is a tricky plan...but too bad, after the past 7 months- I want it. Or specifically, I want the fast forward button (and the mute would be good, too). As Miranda and Steve bickered about their baby, the perfect healthy one they became pregnant with and weren't sure they wanted so Miranda spent that entire pregnancy whining and bitching about being fat and uncomfortable....I was able to speed right through it! Right on to the fun bits! I NEED this. I could go to the mall and fast forward through any belly and/or stroller encounters! Hit pause on those days where the sun is shining, the dog-kids behaving, I don't think of the m-word, and my hair looks pretty. Then speed on through any moments inducing pain or frustration (which are aplenty). Hell, I could just fast forward right on through this entire life turbulance event and hit play again when I see myself weighing 25 extra pounds (in the right place- if it's in my butt, I'll just keep fast forwarding), smiling placidly like the lady on the cover of WTEWYE and painting a wall in pastel baby-friendly shades. Then *voila* rejoin my previously scheduled life!

And after that disgustingly cold Monday (which I did, indeed, survive) I guess fall is here. I'm so confused by seasons at this point. It was 90 and summery, then it was 40 and dark by 7. No gradual, pretty, flowing transition into the hell that is winter up north. Down here, you're on the boat workin' your tan one day, and frantically searching for your "cold weather clothes" box in the garage the next. But boy, am I loving this fall thing. I was able to walk Henry yesterday without even a trickle of back sweat! How special is that?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I often wish we could ff through the bad times and slow-pause the good times. It's a shame that life doesn't work that way. I also often wish I could photoshop a zit off of my face when it pops up, but that won't work either. Perhaps we've grown too advanced with our technologies!? What's reality and what isn't? Sometimes it's hard to tell.

I'm also glad that fall is finally here. I have a space heater on, I'm wearing a long-sleeved shirt and a jacket and I'm still cold right now. Pitiful? yes!

Maria (MKC101103) said...

I would pay big bucks for a remote like that!!

Anonymous said...

Yeah...this week is one of those weeks where I wish I had a big ol' FF button. I just pray that all this drama is preparing us for something great someday. Cuz if this sh*t cloud is hanging over our heads for no reason, God's got an interesting sense of humor...

Tamara said...

If you figure out how to get a dvr for life, please let me know!! I'd love to fast forward too!!

It was also pretty cold here, mainly today. And rainy. Which is good, because we desperately need rain down here! But I was not properly dressed! I love fall though - when the sun is shining and the leaves change colors. It's football season and chili time. :)

MissionImpossible said...

Hand. Over. That. Remote.

Prettyplease?

Hang in there-try to avoid any more "ketchup capers" in the grocery store.