Tuesday, June 24, 2008

28 week appointment

My 28 week appointment was this morning. I'm feeling like a "big girl"- literally and figuratively. These are "real" appointments- ones where we talk about fun things like cervix checks and glucose levels and childbirthing classes and circumcision decisions- all very fascinating topics for a girl who in not so distant days, wondered if she'd ever pass the 1st trimester. My belly measures right on, my once alarmingly rapid weight gain (alarming to me...okay with the doctor) has slowed to a more steady, "What To Expect When You're Expecting" approved rate, and all looks to be going very well.

Baby boy is doing his thing, and doing it in the over-achiever style you'd expect from the spawn of J and M: he's big! While I'm at 27 weeks, 3 days, he's measuring at a whopping 29+ weeks, 2lb14oz or so. Dr. S guesstimated, based on his million catrillion pregnancies served, a baby measuring in at this size at this point will be a "nice 8 pound plus baby". "NICE"? Yes, healthy is good, thriving babies are fantastic, and if he needs to be 12 pounds like my grandmother's first (who she swears gestated for 43.5 weeks), we'll deal with that. But an 8 pound baby out of my teeny tiny little lady town....YIKES! Again I say, bless you, sweet drugs. How I love you already, and we have yet to meet. (I was talking to the epidural there....but the sentiment applies much more appropriately to our sweet baby boy, of course.)

No comments: