Wednesday, September 10, 2008

ONE WEEK TO BABY TIME

Remember this guy?



It's Grimace. Grimace from McDonaldland. He hung with that nasty Hamburglar and the creepiest of all creeptastic pedophile clowns, Ronald.

This has what to do with my normally me-centric blog? Well, I went out walking the other day. As I'm standing there letting Griffin sniff a light pole (okay, and trying to catch my breath), I see something alarming. It's a shadow. A dumpy looking, Grimace shaped shadow. For a brief, very scary moment, I swore Grimace was standing behind me about to pounce. Then the moment got even scarier....that's MY shadow! My shadow, dear friends, looks like Grimace. A clear indication that it's time to have this baby and (as soon as the doctor greenlights hard core workouts) whip my formerly skinny ass into a shape that doesn't remotely conjure up an image of a big dumpy McDonalds character.

So vanity aside, now for the very exciting news.......BABY HAS A BIRTHDAY! Assuming all goes as planned and my body doesn't pull some crazy miraculous stunt (the odds of such event according to my doctor: 3%), our baby boy will be welcomed to the world a week from today. Wednesday, September 17. The doctor appointment yesterday went about how I had figured it would- baby is big and looks blessedly healthy, mom is not making any progress, GD is still a factor, doctor is not wanting to wait this out and see a 9+ pounder. All of that in mind, we agreed to schedule a c-section for next week. I still have a Tuesday appointment and one last (more painfully awkward than painful) internal exam, and if progress has been made, we may talk induction instead. But given the fact that my closest female relatives are prone to 42 week deliveries of 9+lb babies and my cervix appears to be as stubborn as its' owner, I'm thinking we know where this is headed. And I'm surprisingly calm about the idea of my abdomen being sliced- my doctor is known to be a great surgeon and truthfully, I don't care WHAT has to happen, as long as it ends with J and I holding our safe and healthy little guy 7 days from now. WOW. There was one brief moment of panic as we got into the car after the appointment when J, ever the poster child for "speak....then think" looked at me with something in his eyes that could have been fear or boyish elation and said 'THEY'RE GOING TO TAKE YOUR UTERUS OUT OF YOUR BODY AND LAY IT ON A TABLE". Gee, honey, thanks for that comforting little visual! I'll chalk it up to pre-baby jitters though, something he hasn't shown much of to this point. But something about having his baby's birth scheduled, KNOWING he is really, truly coming, is getting my normally so-laid-back-he's-comatose honey a little worked up, making him sweetly dumbfounded about all that is to come.

Needless to say, I'm beside myself with excitement about the impending birth date. I can't watch Baby Story without bawling my eyes out, even when the couple having a baby has the most obnoxious of Jersey accents and puffy bangs and the mom is wearing a scrunchie. Even then, I cry. I think about hearing his very first cry and the sight of J holding him for the very fist time, and I cry. I watch J move the video monitor around the nursery (for the 10th time) to get the very best picture of the crib, and I cry. I don't quite cry but I do get all excited when I glance into the backseat and see a baby seat, professionally installed and ready to hold our most valuable cargo. I also cry when I puke in my mouth during the night, but that's not very sentimental at all. I am so ready. We are so ready, even if only 1 of us realizes it. The pedi is chosen, the parents' flights booked, the hospital bag packed, the pet arrangements handled.....we're ready.

So now, I get through the next week. Tick tock. I thank the TV gods for new fall series, trashy as they may be, and my resulting bloated DVR list. I cuddle with our pets and tell them over and over that they're still our babies, to hang in there through the craziness. I pray that this ridiculous Hurricane Ike is being overblown and does NOT bring 73mph winds to Austin on Saturday night. As eager and anxious as I am, I try to enjoy these last 7 days as a two-some with a quiet and clean house.

Okay, and I also pray that I'll come out of the hospital skinny-jeans ready, pain free and well rested, and looking not one iota like Grimace. A girl can dream.

10 comments:

Mandy Ford Art & Illustration said...

Oh Mandie...I'm sooo excited for you!!! Just remember to take everything one moment at a time after the baby arrives, and don't be too hard on yourself during the recovery. Its hard, but so worth it! I can't wait to see pics of your little one! :)

Melissa said...

This is such exciting news! Relax this week while you can- sounds like you have a great plan worked out. The first cry is amazing! Take care of yourself afterward. New moms don't always take time for themselves. Can't wait to see pictures. I know he will be beautiful.

The Writer Chic said...

Too funny...you're gonna look back on this post in a couple months and really smile.

So happy for you.

Gina Hillmann said...

Congrats MANDY!!! I know it's been a very long road and baby will be here soon. I'm really happy for you and dh.

Anonymous said...

Awww, congrats Mandie! It's an amazing feeling holding your baby for the very first time. Enjoy every minute of him being a little baby, they grow up way too fast! I can't wait to see pictures. Take care and good luck.

Valerie said...

The crying continues afterwards, so you're just preparing yourself for later.

Best wishes to you for a wonderful birth experience and a healthy baby!

Anonymous said...

Mandie,

I am overjoyed for you! As a mom of a once 9.2 pounder born at 42 weeks through my whoo-ha after 3 hours of pushing, I can honestly say you could certainly do it either way however a C-sect just may be your best friend.

All of that aside, soak in these next few days and revel in that magical feeling of baby squirming around within. Though much more fun once they are out, there is something truly mystical about those final, quiet moments before birth. Your sweet baby boy is beyond lucky to be born to such a loving mama. I wish you every happiness.

And I wish you into those skinny jeans! However, the XXXXL undies and ice packs (if you end up delivering vaginally) may have another agenda. Not sure the post c/s protocol, maybe you COULD be so lucky!

xoxo
Rebecca M

Jen said...

Congrats Mandie! Little does this guy know..he got a fab mom waiting for him! I am so happy your day of motherhood has come. Will be thinking of you! :) jen

Anonymous said...

YOU'RE HAVING A BABY IN 2 DAYS! :) SO excited for you. Can't wait to hear all about him!

Crystal said...

LMAO at the Jersey accent, puffed up bangs and scrunchie comment. As a former NYer, I know this woman you are describing way too well (she lives in NY too). Luckily, only occasionally does my NY accent make a break through anymore.