Saturday, May 17, 2008

big yawn

It's been one of those Saturdays where I had mighty plans to accomplish big things....and just looked at the clock, saw the time, and wondered how it got to be evening. Oops. Amazing how a 3 hour nap, despite the weed wacker-weilding neighbor's best attempts to waken me, eats up a day. Lest you think I'm a total bum, I did work this morning and run a few errands after that. Then I plopped on the couch with a Quizno's sub and watched some Kardashian drama ("I'm getting a Bentley!" "You're a bitch!" "No, you're a bitch!"), which made me very sleepy, which necessitated the nap. Annnnnd the day is toast.

22 weeks. Tick tock. Can't time hurry up? Whenever I admit to someone that I'm just ready for it to be September and to actually hold this baby, they look at me like "what a shame" and urge me to just enjoy being pregnant, sleeping when I want to, and revel in the anticipation. Which I am (when I'm not worrying). But I'm not a patient girl, and while I think that without the horror that was last year I'd likely be one of those "I love being pregnant, never felt better, this is amazing and beautiful and I'm glowing" types....because of all the misery that preceded this pregnancy, I just kind of want the end result already. Being pregnant for the better part of the past 14 months will do that. Big ultrasound coming up on Tuesday. Send us your "ten fingers, ten toes, healthy little baby in every possible way" vibes.

My week in a nutshell:
1) Griffin was dying of cancer, then he wasn't. Learned not to trust crooked vets in dirty clinics who insist on immediate surgeries, and that the very good, kind, experienced vets are hiding out in the country. Also learned it's a very good thing to trust my budding "motherly instincts" to avoid my dog being sliced open for no good reason at all.
2) Jonathan sick with a cold, me with Clorox in one hand and Vitamin C in the other. Haven't slept in the same bed in 4 nights. Kind of miss the guy. The dogs are enjoying it- no Jonathan in bed = lots of room for dogs in bed. Cats are angry. Dogs in bed = cats not in bed.
3) Lars and the Real Girl last night on pay per view. Brilliant. Man loves blow up handicapped sex doll. Oddly touching and just the kind of offbeat flick I needed after a string of syrupy chick flicks. And too much of that weird Kardashian show.
4) Our boat is sold. My refusal to boat while pregnant and our realization that a 9 month old wouldn't be a very good ski boater next summer necessitated the sale. I was very proud of J for not crying as the nice man hooked our boat to his Suburban and pulled it on down the road. He looked like a little boy giving away his puppy, but he held it together.
5) Maternity swimsuits are not your friend, and were created as a way to ensure your husband will never want to touch you again, because the image of you in glorified granny panties and a tent for a top will be etched in his memory forever. (Hint: not sexy.) I tried on about 10 before doubling over in laughter at the thought of actually donning one of these beasts in PUBLIC....not even in my (dark) closet would I wear one. I'll stick to land until next summer, and J will thank me. We may even have a 2nd child someday. Pretty sure if he saw me in one of those suits he'd prefer I never become impregnated, ever again.

This post is about as fascinating as my day has been. I'll be back soon with something majorly exciting and introspective. Or a picture of my cats or something.

No comments: