Thursday, September 13, 2007

retail therapy

Here I sit, waiting for the nurse to call, hoping to God she tells me my numbers have nosedived further since Tuesday and surgery won't be necessary. It seems like nurse calls are made somewhere between 5:00pm and 7:00pm, so I'm thinking it may be later before I get word of my status. But of course, I'm glued to the house, refusing to leave for one moment and miss the call. Not that I have anywhere to be, but this is torturous. The good news- I did make it in and out of Dr. S's this morning without seeing even ONE pregnant woman, so I do deserve a pat on the back for those efforts, which included leaving the house at 6:55am to be the first at the lab (which opens at 7:30). Crisis averted.

Retail therapy: shopping with the primary purpose of improving the buyer's mood or disposition. Often seen in people during periods of depression or transition, it is normally a short-lived habit. Items purchased during periods of retail therapy are sometimes referred to as "comfort buys."


I don't need a doctor to diagnose me with THAT disorder. As soon as yesterday morning's overnight Vicodin buzz wore off, all I could thinka bout was BUYING THINGS. The outlet mall made perfect sense- huge, nearly desolate on weekdays (read: fewer strollers and waddling women), and relatively cheap! Which, obviously, equals the ability to buy even MORE things. Let me introduce you to my personal vision of where happiness happens:


See it? It's the Pottery Barn OUTLET! It's got EVERYTHING! (I'm yelling here because it really truly is THAT exciting!) Bedding for $30! Candles for $5! Big fluffy towels for $12 PLUS an additional 40% discount! How crazy is that? Really, it has everything and anything youcould quite possibly need to adorn any room of the house with simplicity and affordability. I loaded my car with bags and drove home feeling full and satisfied, momentarily blissful. And J, bless his heart, kindly overlooked the madness and complimented the new bedding. Good boy.


And finally, I must say.....those Geico people have gone too far. Look what I found in my house yesterday. The fact that I'd come home to baby dinos hanging atop my door was a tidbit J left out in his persuasive "why we should move to Texas" lists. Seriously! Yuck, yuck, yuck.


No comments: