Friday, April 4, 2008

a son in september

Well....helllllo! As you see in the above posting (I'm finding I have to post pictures seperately or the text morphs into some itty bitty unreadable mess that gives me a headache to try to read)....we're having a SON! It's DEFINITELY A BOY! Our appointment wasn't technically until Monday, but I've had some discomfort this week that kept me up with worry most of last night, which made me call in this morning to see about a nurse visit today. I was uneasy and knew the weekend would drag if I didn't just go in and get seen. Stress isn't good for me or the bambino, I figured. They brought me right in and I even got a bonus Dr. S visit!

The ultrasound began and.....wow! He's a HE! How's this for a typical boy- the nurse first tried for a cute face shot. Moved all around, jiggled at the tummy, no go. His hands were firmly in front of his face, rubbing at his ears, blocking our view, wiggling fingers in front of our faces. She then decides to head to the nether region. What happened to the modesty, kiddo? There it was! Legs spread, unmistakable penis. I saw it before the nurse even said anything, and my belly laugh sent the little guy jumping all about in there. Thrilled, in awe, relieved. The other issue I was there to check on turned out to be absolutely nothing, but I was reminded once again how fortunate I am to be under the care of Dr. S. He came in to do the measurement and put me totally at ease.

He's measuring big- 17 weeks today (I'm 16 weeks along)! Mom's measuring big too- let's just say the scale hit an all time high this morning, and I'm not so upset about that. It means I'm growing, it means he's growing, it will come off next fall. Or winter. Spring. Whatever. Definitely by summer. Our test results from the 12 week testing were gorgeous. Our risk for Downs Syndrome and another disorder called Trisomy 18 are as low as can be- 1:10,000 chance. Happy day!

We still go back on Monday for our "official" 16 week ultrasound and gender check. I'm playing coy with J and telling him I know for sure what we're having after today's ultrasound (he wasn't there) but that he has to wait for Monday to see for himself. Cruel, I know. But I just want to see the look on his face when he discovers for himself that his first child will be a SON!

16 weeks already. 4 more weeks until halfway. 11 more weeks until the 3rd trimester. So incredibly grateful and ecstatic to be here, and so thrilled to be expecting a son. My son. Our SON!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG congrats!!!! Aw, I'm SO happy for you guys. And a little baby boy...wow. That's awesome. Have a great weekend!

Melissa said...

Wow-a son! That's great! Glad to hear everything turned out alright.

Jen and Mike said...

Congratulations on your little boy!

Unknown said...

EEEEEEEEE! So exciting, Mandie!

Congrats!!!

Unknown said...

I am SO happy for you, Mandie! SO happy! :)A little boy, how wonderful is that?!

Jen said...

that is just sooo amazing! congrats mandie!